Tuesday 16 August 2011

Self-awareness has gone out the window on Facebook

I may be preoccupied with my own two little terrors but I'd like to think I've not lost sight of myself and how I portray this to the world. I'm sorry to say many people have.

Call me a hypocrite for spending one-too-many hours trailing through Facebook, and I do love it but some of my fb friends and friends of friends, you know who you are, show a whole new side to themselves. And it's not only their alter ego they are exposing, it's everything else on show. Not wanting to get crude about it but little's left to the imagination, if at all. Sadly it's not just my peers I'm talking about, it's my elders too.

Don't get me wrong we all like to engage in a bit of Facebook stalking and it's lovely to see wedding pics, newborn babies and fun nights out, and I myself have posted all the above, sharing only the best bits. I too wouldn't share the mundane reality: a trip to Morrisons, potty training, the tantrums, the washing, the run of the mill - basically my life. No, no, no Facebook is no place for honesty, it's about showing your closest 1,000 friends and family the life you want, not the life you have. Popularity too is important, it's shameful to only have few friends on this, you must acquire as many as you can. Beware, the danger in this is you are exposing yourself to a mass audience and opening yourself up for criticism, like it or not.

If you've got it, flaunt it seems to be the message. And plenty seemingly do. Being a poser used to be a character trait that you would never want to be labelled as. Now apparently all shapes, sizes and egos are welcome here. Posting literally hundreds of pictures of oneself is commonplace not to mention boring. Teachers straddling cars, bikini after bikini shots, and a lot of pouting like a trout goes on, D-list celebrities look tame in comparison.

Friends in life become your worst nightmare online, it's a case of look at me, oh it's me again, look how much fun I'm having, me again, does my bum look big in this? It's tragic. Don't they know potential employers look at this?Ask yourself this before you post, what would your mother think? Not everything needs to be public property. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment